The medical billing and coding fundamentals certificate prepares students to function in medical clinic coding/billing departments and facilities. Students will learn to analyze medical records, assign accurate medical codes, and learn billing and reimbursement practices.
This certificate is offered by Ensign College, with
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Identify organs and structures of human anatomy and physiology of body systems
- Demonstrate accurate and efficient billing and medical coding principles, including:
- Reading and analyzing patient charts/operative notes
- Understanding and applying the Revenue Cycle
- Assigning appropriate ICD-10-CM, CPT, and HCPCS national codes.
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, regarding medical coding topics and issues
- Coding and billing facilities
- Insurance companies
- Medical clinics (all specialties)
Why choose this certificate?
Learning the basics of medical billing and coding prepares you for requisite tasks in the medical records field. Knowledge in medical terminology, anatomy, and pathophysiology increases your ability to interpret documentation and apply diagnosis (ICD-10-CM) and procedure (CPT and HCPCS) codes in preparation for accurate billing functions. Accuracy and sensitivity to secure and private information are essential.
BYU-Pathway has found that certain combinations of certificates lead to better job opportunities. Most degrees have a