Pensive ethnic man using laptop at home
Pensive ethnic man using laptop at home
Certificates & Degrees
Courses & Transfer Credits
> ... Certificates & Degrees Overview > Courses & Transfer Credits
Icon_Courses_BxW.svg COURSES

The online courses and degrees offered through BYU-Pathway Worldwide are built by BYU-Idaho or Ensign College. Online courses offer flexibility and are intertwined with gospel learning.

Attractive young dark skinned woman working at desk at home using laptop, holding baby on her lap. Portrait of smiling mother writing post on moms blog while her infant son playing with toy

Flexible schedule

Courses follow a 14-week academic term called a semester. Typically, coursework is assigned at the beginning of the week with mid-week and end-of-week deadlines. Students are encouraged to pace themselves to complete assignments on time.

While many online programs focus on independent study, students pursuing a BYU-Idaho or Ensign College online degree learn to work in teams, build leadership and communication skills, and teach and support each other in an interactive online community.

Instructors also collaborate with students by answering questions, providing feedback on assignments, and offering encouragement.


Online courses offer quizzes and tests to help students assess their understanding. Instructors will often evaluate responses in order to measure a student's understanding. Students also participate in self-assessments, where they are asked to evaluate their own performance or participation.

170429_Pathway-LesilaVaieK_48-1200px.jpg 170330_Pathway-BrandonPuckett_513-800px.jpg

General education

Each degree program requires a specified number of general education courses, including math, English, arts, and science. Students can choose from a variety of courses to complement their specific educational goals.

Learn More

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little...
Isaiah 28:10
How much time does each course require per week?
Time spent on courses each week depends on each student’s ability and productivity. At a minimum, students should expect to commit 10–20 hours each week to their courses.
Are there lectures I have to attend online?
No. However, courses do require interaction through discussion boards, quizzes, and projects. Instructors also have optional office hours that students can use to receive additional help.
When are course assignments due?
Assignment due dates vary according to the instructor, but most assignments are due on Wednesday and Saturday of each week at 11 p.m., Mountain Time (UTC - 6/7). Exact due dates are found within each course.
Icon_Transcript_Teal.svg TRANSFER CREDITS

BYU-Pathway Worldwide and its partners have a generous transfer credit policy. Because the degrees we offer are granted by BYU-Idaho and Ensign College, requests to transfer credits are facilitated through those schools.

Pathway Graduates- Apr 2019

Transfer credit process

Courses taken from other colleges and universities are evaluated for transfer credit in the following ways:

  • Preferred Path: Students who start a degree with the preferred path begin with PathwayConnect. Previously earned credits are evaluated for transfer after a student completes the foundational courses associated with PathwayConnect.
  • Advanced Path: Students who start a degree with the advanced path bypass PathwayConnect and will have their previously earned credits evaluated for transfer by the institution granting their certificate or degree.

See the section below for how transfer credits are evaluated.

Applicants must submit all transcripts from previous colleges and universities attended in the United States. Most university-level credits earned through regionally-accredited colleges and universities are accepted. Technical and vocational course credits are typically not accepted. (For transcripts from schools outside the United States, see “Credits Earned Outside the U.S.”)

Submitting Transcripts
Official transcripts should be sent from previously attended colleges and universities by the application deadline. Information on how to submit transcripts can be found inside the application when you apply, or by contacting BYU-Pathway Support.
    Transfer credit criteria for students outside the United States may vary from country to country. Please review the guidelines for more information. Students who have attended a university outside the United States should contact BYU-Pathway Support before applying.
    Smiling student sitting outdoors
    Evaluation of transfer credit
    Previous courses taken at other colleges and universities are only evaluated for transfer credit after a student has been admitted as an online degree-seeking student. *
    Students who begin with the preferred path must complete the foundational PathwayConnect courses prior to transfer credit evaluation.

    Transfer credit evaluation is conducted by either BYU-Idaho or Ensign College *
    Degrees are built by stacking three certificates to build a bachelor's degree. BYU-Pathway Worldwide provides access to degrees and certificates from BYU-Idaho and Ensign College. Transfer credit evaluation is dependent on several factors outlined below.

    BYU-Idaho Degrees
    BYU-Pathway provides access to online degrees from BYU-Idaho in applied business management, applied technology, applied health, and professional studies. However, degrees can be built by stacking certificates from both Ensign College and BYU-Idaho.

    If your first certificate is from BYU-Idaho, your transfer credits will be evaluated within 4-6 weeks of enrollment.

    If your first certificate is from Ensign College, but your degree will come from BYU-Idaho, your transfer credits will be evaluated as follows:
    • Ensign College will evaluate transfer credits that relate to your first certificate.
      • However, most transfer credits will count toward elective or general education requirements and will, therefore, not be evaluated until after you complete your first certificate (see below).

    • BYU-Idaho will evaluate transfer credits that relate to your bachelor’s degree.
      • This is where most or all of your former credits will be applied.
      • These credits will not be evaluated until after you complete your first certificate with Ensign College. (For most students, the first certificate takes about one year to complete.)
      • You can conduct your own unofficial evaluation of how your credits will transfer by using this tool: (Also see general information about how BYU-Idaho processes transfer credits.)

    Ensign College Degrees
    The only online degree offered by Ensign College (in association with BYU-Pathway Worldwide) is applied communication, and you would take social media marketing as the first certificate to build this degree. If you choose this path, because your first certificate AND your bachelor’s degree will both come from Ensign College, your transfer credits will be evaluated by Ensign College within your first semester of enrollment.

    For additional questions about transfer credits, visit our Help page.
    depending on which school your selected degree is coming from.

    • If a direct match to a course can be found, the transfer credits will be listed on the student’s official Transfer Course Evaluation Report sent by email.
    • Only transfer courses from a regionally-accredited institution with a grade of C- or higher will be accepted.
    • Although transfer credits can be used to fulfill course graduation requirements, they will not be calculated into a student’s grade point average (GPA). Only courses taken through BYU-Pathway Worldwide and its partners will factor into GPA.
    • Courses from universities outside the United States that do not have a direct match to a course will not be transferred for credit consideration. English classes taken from a university outside of the United States will not be accepted as meeting English course requirements.

    PathwayConnect credits & transcripts

    Credits earned in BYU-Pathway's PathwayConnect academic courses count toward a student’s online degree as elective credits. Religion courses taken online count as religion credits. Religion courses taken through institute also count as religion credit if the courses taken have a direct equivalent to a BYU-Idaho or Ensign College religion course (depending on which school a student's chosen degree comes from).

    Students may request official PathwayConnect transcripts by logging in to their BYU-Pathway Portal. Transcripts may not be ordered by phone, email, paper, or fax. For more information, contact BYU-Pathway Support.

    Pathway - Manqueo family
    Institute credits & transcripts
    Institute courses taken “for Church university credit” will be accepted as transfer credit to fulfill graduation requirements if they meet the following requirements:

    • Have a letter grade of A through C- or a pass (P) grade.
    • Have a direct equivalent to a BYU-Idaho or Ensign College religion course (depending on which school a student's chosen degree comes from).

    These credits do not impact the student’s GPA.

    To submit institute transcripts for transfer credit evaluation, submit:
    • Via mail directly from the institute you attended to
    • Via mail directly from the institute you attended to the following address: CES Admissions Processing, B-226 ASB, Provo, UT 84602